Our “Stake Day of Service” was on May 2. We had many, many different projects going. I was the chairman of the Baby Quilts and Wheelchair Quilts project, and I think when everything is said and done, we will probably be able to finish about 100 quilts. Here’s how we did it:
It was announced to the whole stake that we needed donations of fabric and batting, and that people should come with sewing machines and rotary cutters/mats/rulers, and irons and ironing boards.
When we started in the morning, we handed some premade quilt kits to 2 teenage girls who started sewing them together. About 5 ladies were digging through the donated fabric, matching coordinating fabrics together and deciding how to cut the fabric into kits. Another woman was ironing the fabric before it was cut, she also ironed seams flat after the girls sewed the patchwork seams. About 5 other women were cutting fabric.
We all worked about 4 hours, and think we have about 60 kits ready to give out to the Relief Societies and Young Women leaders in our stake, with enough fabric to make about 40 more kits when we next meet. The wards can finish the quilts in RS enrichments or YW class activities, or individual women or YW can take kits to finish on their own.
(Above) We made some “strippy” quilts, which are just rows and rows of coordinating fabric, very easy. (Below) Liz is sewing patchwork blocks together, you can also see the patchwork top behind her. I will show some more examples of what we made in tomorrow’s blog.
These quilts will be given to the hospital neonatal intensive care unit, or to rest homes for lap quilts.
It was a fun project, and used up lots and lots of unwanted fabric that people had sitting around their homes.