Finishing Touches :
Slick Tricks for Borders, Embellishments, and Bindings
6 Hour Workshop: Beginners and up.
Learn creative finishing skills that are perfect for precision-impaired quilters! Make small samples of the Best Machine Binding, Pillowcased Edges Couched with Yarn, and Amy’s innovative Haphazard Piecing.
See demonstrations of numerous techniques and view Amy’s large trunk show. Zigzag sewing machine with free motion foot, and $15 kit fee required.
Topics covered in this class:
- Best Machine Binding
- Pillowcased Edges Couched with Yarn
- Amy’s innovative Haphazard Piecing
- Allowing a mitered corner to tell you where it wants to be sewn.
- How to attach quilted borders after the center section has already been quilted.
- How to square up quilts, using items like T-squares, posterboards, 2x4s.
- How to attach the sleeve and binding at the same time.
- Or, how to attach sleeve using blindhem stitch.
- How to create appearance of scalloped binding using large ricrac.
- Couching yarn on surface: in loops or stitching in ditch along binding or seamlines.
- Couching yarn on edge.
- Signing your name in freehand machine stitching.
- Pillowcasing a quilt with fusible web on slit.
- How to make a label.
- Using Foamcore board as a form inside oddly shaped quilts.
- How to make a two-layered quilt.
And many more finishing techniques!
$15 kit fee required. Pay by cash or check to instructor, includes fabric, batting, yarn and Wonder Under.